The ‘Patient Zero’ of Internet shame wants to end cyber-bullying. She began by joining Twitter.
Monica Lewinsky’s self-described campaign to end cyber-bullying began with a small act of courage.
The long-ago White House intern signed up for the hugely popular, but often vitriolic, medium on Monday just a short while before she gave a speech at aForbes summit in which she described herself as “Patient Zero” of the Internet shaming age.
"My name is Monica Lewinsky, although I’ve often been advised to change it."
According to a write-up on the magazine’s website, Lewinsky described the public humiliation she suffered during the endless coverage and investigations of her affair with President Bill Clinton that led to his impeachment more than 15 years ago. She talked about her “love” for Clinton at the time and reportedly teared up in recalling the shame of being, for a time, one of the most infamous young women in the world.
Lewinsky, now 41, said she was “the first person to have their reputation completely destroyed worldwide via the Internet.”
“There was no Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram back then. But there were gossip, news, and entertainment websites replete with comment sections and emails which could be forwarded. Of course, it was all done on the excruciatingly slow dial up. Yet around the world this story went. A viral phenomenon that, you could argue, was the first moment of truly ‘social media’.”
Lewinsky crept back into the public eye earlier this year with a piece in Vanity Fair in which she wrote about the Clinton affair and the difficulty she has had in finding a job. In the speech on Monday, she began by saying, “My name is Monica Lewinsky, although I’ve often been advised to change it.”
Now she wants to start “a cultural revolution” against the kind of treatment she endured that is even more prevalent in the era of social media.
“Having survived myself, what I want to do now is help other victims of the shame game survive, too. I want to put my suffering to good use and give purpose to my past.”
In joining Twitter, Lewinsky appears ready to play on the same field as the bullies she is trying to combat. Her introduction, however, was a bit halting.— Monica Lewinsky (@MonicaLewinsky)October 20, 2014
excited (and nervous) to speak to #Under30Summit— Monica Lewinsky (@MonicaLewinsky)October 20, 2014
If nothing else, Lewinsky has demonstrated that all these years later, she can still command an audience. Within three hours of her first tweet, she had more than 14,000 followers, and the count was growing by the minute.
Source: Russell Berman for The Atlantic
it’s 2 a.m. and i have a midterm tomorrow but instead of studying i’m talking to lindsey about jax and gemma and
Who are you looking forward to seeing? Everyone who is coming to next month’s LA FM show.
Do you smile at strangers? Depends on my mood. If I notice them looking at me, usually.
111 is the same as 23, which I already answered. Thank you! xo
Do you have trust issues? I have decent intuition about people so I don’t really question whether or not I should trust someone. I usually can tell right off the bat.
Names of your bestfriends? I have a lot of people I consider really good friends but there are a few that I’ve had for years and I don’t ever see leaving my life and I know that no matter what/how long we go without talking, the relationship won’t falter - Sabrina, Katie, Africa.
Favourite actress? I’m obvs in a Katey phase but I think Doris Day?? Idk I’m not an actress~ person but man I’ve loved Doris for almost 10 years now.
Can you keep white shoes clean? I can’t keep anything white clean. At all. Ever.
Who’s the last person you had a deep conversation with? My therapist lol.
thank you! xo
1. Who was the last person you held hands with?
2. Are you outgoing or shy?
3. Who are you looking forward to seeing?
4. Are you easy to get along with?
5. If you were drunk would the person you like take care of you?
6. What kind of people are you attracted to?
7. Do you think you’ll be in a relationship two months from now?
8. Who from the opposite gender is on your mind?
9. Does talking about sex make you uncomfortable?
10. Who was the last person you had a deep conversation with?
11. What does the most recent text that you sent say?
12. What are your 5 favorite songs right now?
13. Do you like it when people play with your hair?
14. Do you believe in luck and miracles?
15. What good thing happened this summer?
16. Would you kiss the last person you kissed again?
17. Do you think there is life on other planets?
18. Do you still talk to your first crush?
19. Do you like bubble baths?
20. Do you like your neighbors?
21. What are you bad habits?
22. Where would you like to travel?
23. Do you have trust issues?
24. Favorite part of your daily routine?
25. What part of your body are you most uncomfortable with?
26. What do you do when you wake up?
27. Do you wish your skin was lighter or darker?
28. Who are you most comfortable around?
29. Have any of your ex’s told you they regret breaking up?
30. Do you ever want to get married?
31. If your hair long enough for a pony tail?
32. Which celebrities would you have a threesome with?
33. Spell your name with your chin.
34. Do you play sports? What sports?
35. Would you rather live without TV or music?
36. Have you ever liked someone and never told them?
37. What do you say during awkward silences?
38. Describe your dream girl/guy?
39. What are your favorite stores to shop in?
40. What do you want to do after high school?
41. Do you believe everyone deserves a second chance?
42. If your being extremely quiet what does it mean?
43. Do you smile at strangers?
44. Trip to outer space or bottom of the ocean?
45. What makes you get out of bed in the morning?
46. What are you paranoid about?
47. Have you ever been high?
48. Have you ever been drunk?
49. Have you done anything recently that you hope nobody finds out about?
50. What was the colour of the last hoodie you wore?
51. Ever wished you were someone else?
52. One thing you wish you could change about yourself?
53. Favourite makeup brand?
54. Favourite store?
55. Favourite blog?
56. Favourite colour?
57. Favourite food?
58. Last thing you ate?
59. First thing you ate this morning?
60. Ever won a competition? For what?
61. Been suspended/expelled? For what?
62. Been arrested? For what?
63. Ever been in love?
64. Tell us the story of your first kiss?
65. Are you hungry right now?
66. Do you like your tumblr friends more than your real friends?
67. Facebook or Twitter?
68. Twitter or Tumblr?
69. Are you watching tv right now?
70. Names of your bestfriends?
71. Craving something? What?
72. What colour are your towels?
72. How many pillows do you sleep with?
73. Do you sleep with stuffed animals?
74. How many stuffed animals do you think you have?
75. Favourite animal?
76. What colour is your underwear?
77. Chocolate or Vanilla?
78. Favourite ice cream flavour?
79. What colour shirt are you wearing?
80. What colour pants?
81. Favourite tv show?
82. Favourite movie?
83. Mean Girls or Mean Girls 2?
84. Mean Girls or 21 Jump Street?
85. Favourite character from Mean Girls?
86. Favourite character from Finding Nemo?
87. First person you talked to today?
88. Last person you talked to today?
89. Name a person you hate?
90. Name a person you love?
91. Is there anyone you want to punch in the face right now?
92. In a fight with someone?
93. How many sweatpants do you have?
94. How many sweaters/hoodies do you have?
95. Last movie you watched?
96. Favourite actress?
97. Favourite actor?
98. Do you tan a lot?
99. Have any pets?
100. How are you feeling?
101. Do you type fast?
102. Do you regret anything from your past?
103. Can you spell well?
104. Do you miss anyone from your past?
105. Ever been to a bonfire party?
106. Ever broken someone’s heart?
107. Have you ever been on a horse?
108. What should you be doing?
109. Is something irritating you right now?
110. Have you ever liked someone so much it hurt?
111. Do you have trust issues?
112. Who was the last person you cried in front of?
113. What was your childhood nickname?
114. Have you ever been out of your province/state?
115. Do you play the Wii?
116. Are you listening to music right now?
117. Do you like chicken noodle soup?
118. Do you like Chinese food?
119. Favourite book?
120. Are you afraid of the dark?
121. Are you mean?
122. Is cheating ever okay?
123. Can you keep white shoes clean?
124. Do you believe in love at first sight?
125. Do you believe in true love?
126. Are you currently bored?
127. What makes you happy?
128. Would you change your name?
129. What your zodiac sign?
130. Do you like subway?
131. Your bestfriend of the opposite sex likes you, what do you do?
132. Who’s the last person you had a deep conversation with?
133. Favourite lyrics right now?
134. Can you count to one million?
135. Dumbest lie you ever told?
136. Do you sleep with your doors open or closed?
137. How tall are you?
138. Curly or Straight hair?
139. Brunette or Blonde?
140. Summer or Winter?
141. Night or Day?
142. Favourite month?
143. Are you a vegetarian?
144. Dark, milk or white chocolate?
145. Tea or Coffee?
146. Was today a good day?
147. Mars or Snickers?
148. What’s your favourite quote?
149. Do you believe in ghosts?
150. Get the closest book next to you, open it to page 42, what’s the first line on that page? (via colemeister)
Entertain me for a bit
"So she’s not evil like Gemma, but she’s got her strength in spades." - Drea de Matteo talking about Katey 😭😍 [x]
mauramellie tagged me to screenshot my desktop without doing anything… i’m pretty boring. i like to keep my desktop relatively safe/neutral b/c i have to show my computer to people sometimes and i get embarrassed. plus i was missing florence a few days ago so i switched from a venice wallpaper to florence.